EDMONTON – The City of Edmonton announced that the ACCIONA/AECON team has been short-listed to bid on the modernization of the Edmonton Organics Processing Facility Project.
The project includes the design, build, finance, operation and maintenance of new facilities at the Edmonton Waste Management Centre . The construction of a new anaerobic digestion facility will be enhanced by combining the existing high solids anaerobic digestion facility and composting cure capacity on the site.
The project includes:
- Design and build of a new anaerobic digestion facility, processing up to 100,000 tonnes / annum of organics (Single Source Organics and Municipal Solid Waste fraction) by 2045.
- Upgrades to existing utility infrastructure on site, with capacity to process 40,000 tonnes/annum of organics.
- Upgrading system to turn the biogas produced into Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) for injection into the grid.
- Ancillary facilities for the new anaerobic digestion module.
“ACCIONA is committed to delivering projects that offer sustainable solutions to modern living,” said Martin Landry, Vice President of Business Development in North America. “This project would allow us to bring our global expertise in delivering sustainable waste management infrastructure to Edmonton and help the City meet its goals.”
The facility will expand the City’s organics waste processing capacity and contribute to reach the City target to divert 90% of waste from landfill. The Anaerobic Digesting Facility (ADF) will enable the:
- Processing of up to 140,000 tonnes of organic waste per year along with landfill diversion.
- Creation of renewable energy in the form of RNG.
- Production of high quality stabilized product for use in agriculture and horticulture.
- Avoidance of all greenhouse gas emissions generated by organic materials in landfills.
The joint venture of ACCIONA and AECON represents at 50/50 split for SPV and EPC. During operations the joint venture includes the technology provider, Anaergia DB, Inc. (“Anaergia”), for a three-way share. The Request for Proposal is expected after March 31st, 2021.
ACCIONA has successfully delivered large infrastructure projects across Canada since 2001. Our leadership and expertise span the entire value chain from research and development through construction, operation and maintenance of projects. Currently involved in some of Canada’s largest infrastructure projects, ACCIONA delivers solutions that contribute to the economic and social progress of the communities in which it operates. www.acciona.ca
About the team that will deliver this project:
- Aecon: As a Canadian leader in construction and infrastructure development with global expertise, Aecon Group Inc. (TSX: ARE) strives to be the number one Canadian infrastructure company. Aecon safely, profitably and sustainably delivers integrated solutions to private and public-sector clients through its Construction segment in the Civil, Urban Transportation, Nuclear, Utility and Industrial sectors, and provides project development, financing, investment and management services through its Concessions segment. Join our online community on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram @AeconGroup.
- Anaergia: Anaergia is part of Anaergia Inc.: the global technology leader in recovering value from waste for the municipal, industrial, and agriculture sectors. Through its proven portfolio of proprietary technologies, Anaergia’s integrated solutions create value for its customers in the forms of renewable energy, quality fertilizers, and clean water, while dramatically reducing the cost of waste management. Anaergia operates out of eight regional offices as well as three manufacturing plants. Anaergia’s technologies are in use at over a thousand resource recovery facilities worldwide, reducing greenhouse gas emissions while creating new revenue sources for its clients. For more information on Anaergia, please visit www.anaergia.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CIMA: For more than 40 years, CIMA+ has been involved in the design and construction of energy production infrastructure assets across Canada, in Africa and the United States.They have built or rehabilitated more than 350 hydroelectric dams, designed some of the largest solar power farms in the world and are a key player in some of the most recent organic treatment projects in Canada such as the New Biomethane Plant Project in Montreal.
- Dillon Consulting Limited: Dillon is an established professional consulting firm at the intersection of planning, management, engineering, and environmental science. With 20 offices and more than 900 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities. Dillon has also recently engaged in several Anaerobic Digestion plants initiatives – with responsibilities including portions of facility design and environmental permitting as well.
- Sylvis: SYLVIS Environmental Services Inc (SYLVIS) is a leader in Western Canada for the advancement of residuals beneficial use programs and market development. For over thirty years, SYLVIS has been involved in all facets of residuals management and marketing and has pioneered the use of organic residuals in non-agricultural markets in Alberta over the past 10 years.